August 24, 2008

Natalie Glebova will be representing the Land of Smiles

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/bahtandsold/12-2.jpg

Canadian beauty in Amazing Race Asia

 

 

She is not a Thai citizen but Canadian beauty queen Natalie Glebova will be representing the Land of Smiles as a contestant in the third season of reality show The Amazing Race Asia.
She has applied to be a permanent resident after marrying Paradorn Srichaphan, Thailand's top tennis player and a former world No9, last November.
Over the phone from Bangkok, where she has been living for the past two years, the 26-year-old, who is of Russian descent, told The New Paper it's a 'big honour' and a 'huge deal' to represent her adopted country.
'I won (Miss Universe 2005) in Thailand (where it was held), came here for work and ended up living here and marrying a Thai man.
'The Thais have accepted me as their own and I hope they will be proud of me (on the show).'
Naturally, Paradorn, 27, was her first choice for a teammate. 'But during the application period, he was busy with his tennis training as he's hoping to go back on tour next year,' she explained.
Natalie, whose favourite show is the US version of The Amazing Race, eventually signed up with her good friend and former bridesmaid, 25-year-old Pailin Rungratanasunthorn, Miss Earth Thailand 2006.
The 10 teams in the race recently filmed for a month.
As Natalie was gagged by the show's confidentiality clauses, she said Paradorn discovered her participation only two weeks ago, when it was officially announced.
So how did she keep it from her hubby?
'I travel a lot, hosting and presenting TV shows. It's been like this ever since we started dating, so he thought I was just going for work again.
'He was shocked when he found out (I was on the show). We had a good laugh about it.'
She gushed that married life is 'really good' and Paradorn is a 'great husband who cares for me'.
The couple are planning to start a a family soon.
But being away from her loved ones wasn't easy. At her lowest point, she broke down and cried.
She recalled: 'I couldn't communicate with my family and friends. I couldn't even call my mum on her 50th birthday. And I wanted to be home with my husband.
'I was losing my temper, complaining, wanting to give up, wishing it'd all be over. I was surprised because I'm usually a calm, patient person.'
But the 1.8m-tall brunette is also hoping to smash stereotypes that beauty queens can't 'tough it out'.
'There's a perception that we're prissy and don't like to do scary or sporty stuff. A few challenges also required mental strength, and I'm pretty proud to say we pulled it off better than the guy teams.'
It was tough not to look 'worse and worse' as the race progressed, and to maintain personal hygiene.
'I can deal with being tired, hungry and sleepy, but being dirty for me was the hardest - especially when sometimes it was just impossible to shower.
'Every night I HAVE to wash all my make-up off, floss, brush my teeth. If I don't get to do that, I feel gross about myself,' she said.
The Amazing Race Asia 3 premieres on AXN on 11 Sep at 9pm. A special preview, Racers Revealed, will air on 4 Sep at 9pm.

 

Source: Baht&Sold



No comments: